POWERSTAT® Variable Transformers
The flagship voltage control product offered by Superior Electric, POWERSTAT® Variable Transformers provide a simple, rugged method of controlling electrical voltage, current and power. They take in utility line voltage and provide continuously adjustable output voltage.
Rugged, and designed for heavy duty use, POWERSTAT® Variable Transformers provide excellent power regulation with negligible variation in output voltage from no-load to full-load current. POWERSTAT® Variable Transformers are available in both manual and motor-driven options. They provide high current ratings, long life, superior overload capacity and exceptional resistance to contaminants such as fungus and salt spray.
- Voltage correction for under-voltage or over-voltage supplies on 1, 2 or 3-phase circuits
- Producing variable DC voltages from AC sources, usually by control of input voltage to rectifier elements
- Heater or oven temperature control. Voltage adjustment in addition to usual thermostatic control provides more uniform heating
- Dimming or controlling incandescent lamp circuits. Life of lamps goes down significantly when operated above rated voltage. Conversely lamp life increases significantly when operated below rated voltage
- Varying step-transformer output voltage by control of input voltage
- Operating motors and other electrical equipment at correct voltages even when supply is above or below normal. Starting characteristics at subnormal voltages and heating at higher than normal voltages are critical design factors
- Speed control of some AC motors and of DC motors operation rectified AC circuits. Fan and other motors with low starting torque are good applications
- Providing voltages not commonly used for tests or operational runs
- Calibrating electrical equipment and controls
- Servo motor regulation